Monday, June 30, 2014
4th of July Fireworks Tarts
These are the perfect 4th of July treats to devour at your holiday picnic! They are dairy-free, grain-free, paleo, and extremely delicious! Imagine this: a mini pie filled with a rich custard, and topped with refreshing berries. Now, who can say no to that?
Makes 6 mini tarts.
For the Paleo Tart Crust:
2 cups blanched almond flour or almond meal
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Ingredients for the Filling:
1/2 cup raw cashews
3 Tbs full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp raw honey
1 tsp lemon juice (I use Santa Cruise Organic, but you can also use it fresh from a lemon.)
Red and blue fresh berries for topping (I used blueberries and strawberries.)
For the Crust:
1. Place the flour, salt, oil, and the egg in a food processor, and pulse until mixture forms a ball.
2. Using your fingers, press the dough into a Whoopie pie pan, or a mini tart pan. Note: I recommend pressing the dough slightly above the sides of the Whoopie pie cups, for easier removal. The dough should yield 6 mini tart crusts.
3. Bake the crusts at 350° for 8-11 minutes, until slightly crispy around the edges.
4. Let them cool for 15 minutes, then remove them from the pan, and onto a plate.
For the Filling:
1. Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for 15-20 minutes to soften them, then discard the water.
2. Place the cashews, coconut milk, vanilla, honey, and lemon juice in a food processor, and pulse until a creamy consistency forms, and there are no lumps or chunks left.
Note: it may take a few minutes of pulsing to get the creaminess to form, but be patient.
3. Scoop the "cream" into a small bowl, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
To Finish Up:
1. Place 1 dollop of the "cream" into each mini tart.
2. Top with red and blue berries.
3. Serve the tarts and exclaim,"Happy Fourth of July!!!".
- ► 2015 (25)
- 4th of July Fireworks Tarts
- Cinnamon Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Refreshing Whole Fruit Popsicles
- Easy Peasy: Paleo Blueberry Mini Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- Lemon Cupcakes with Strawberry Whipped Cream
- Watermelon Slushie
- Father's Day Mint Brownies
- Tropical Green Smoothie
- Chocolate Mint Power Balls (Raw, Vegan, and Paleo!...
- ▼ June (10)