I am going to let you in on a little secret: I’m in love!
WITH HEMP SEEDS! They are so yummy. Also, they’re chock-full of protein, and have a great 3:1 ratio of omega-3 and -6 fatty acids. Lately, I have been sprinkling them all over my yogurt, and in my green smoothies! But I really wanted to create a recipe where hemp is the star- where you can taste the deliciousness, and the hemp flavor is not hidden.
That’s where these bars come in. They are really easy to make, and only a few ingredients are needed. There are no nuts in this recipe, so the bars are great for our nut-free friends, too! The combination of the coconut-chocolate flavor is mixed with the earthy taste of hemp seeds and the sweetness of raw honey, to create a scrumptious bar!
These treats are best stored in an airtight container in the freezer, and eaten cold. If they are too firm to eat, let them thaw at room temperature for a few minutes. I brought these in my lunchbox to school with me, and they gave me a great boost of energy! Enjoy, and let me know how you liked them in the comments below :)
Makes 6 full-sized bars.
½ cup raw shelled hemp seeds
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup ground golden flax seeds (flax meal)
¼ cup Cacao powder
Scant ¼ tsp Himalayan pink sea salt
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients except for the honey.
- Stir in the honey, and mix with your hands until fully combined. The dough should resemble wet crumbs.
- Line a (bread) loaf pan with plastic wrap. Press the dough into it, firmly and evenly.
- Place the pan in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the freezer. Gently lift the solid mixture out of the pan, and peel away the plastic wrap. Carefully, cut the bars width wise (the short way).
- Eat right away, or leave at room temp for a few mins before eating. Bars should be stored in the freezer, but can be refrigerated for short amounts of time. They are more solid if frozen.