So, I’ve been on this quest for a long, long, long time… it was a quest filled with trails; a quest filled with errors; a quest full of gooeyness; a quest full of sogginess; and then—a quest of joy!! Yes, my friends: It was a quest for waffles.
Grain-free waffles that were crispy. And eeeeaaaasy to make. I mean, who wants to spend their entire weekend morning stuck in the kitchen, spending hours just to make some healthy waffles?!! Surely not me! I finally concocted the perfect recipe for waffles, and you’re gonna freak out over it. Are you ready for this?
Grain-, gluten-, dairy-, nut-free waffles. Super soft on the inside, and really crispy on the outside. Take only 15 minutes to make. Drenched in blueberry compote. Oh my goodness I’m drooling just writing this.
I urge you aaaaaalllll to make these… and if you do, please leave a comment in the ‘comment’ section below, telling me how they turned out!!
Makes 3 large waffles, or 12 small.
Ingredients for the Waffles:
1 ½ cups Otto’s Cassava Flour, sifted
¼ tsp salt
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
2 tsp maple sugar, or coconut sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups full-fat coconut milk, (or almond milk, if you’re not dairy-free)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your waffle iron, and lightly grease it with ghee, or coconut oil.
2. Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then stir in the wet, and let the batter sit for five minutes.
3. Pour the batter into your waffle iron, (I used about one-third of the batter and did three rounds of waffles) and cook per manufacturer’s instructions.
4. While the first batch of waffles are being made, whip up this compote!!
Ingredients for the Blueberry Compote:
1 Tbs coconut oil, ghee, or butter
1 ½ cups blueberries, frozen or fresh (or any type of berry you prefer)
1 tsp honey
½ tsp arrowroot starch
½ tsp cold water
1. Melt the oil/butter on medium heat, in a medium saucepan. Stir in the berries and honey, and bring to a boil.
2. In a small dish, stir together the ½ tsp water, and ½ tsp arrowroot. After five minutes of boiling, stir in the arrowroot mixture to the berry compote.
3. Keep stirring the mixture until it begins thickening slightly, then remove from heat. Continue making the rest of the waffles, and serve them with the compote poured on top! Enjoy :)